The DOT could be very precise approximately what you need to do on your drug and alcohol trying out software so one can live compliant. You’ve in all likelihood heard of 49CFR part forty… If you haven’t, you really want to have a duplicate handy. It’s truly complex felony-speak, if you want to be DOT drug and alcohol checking out compliant for FMCSA… You ought to have it accessible.
Boiling down 49CFR part 40, you end up with the following 9 essential regions for discussion:
1) Who have to be protected by using your DOT drug and alcohol testing coverage
2) Generating an FMCSA DOT Drug and Alcohol Policy
three) Identifying your DER (Designated Employer Representative)
four) Employee Education
five) Pre-employment drug and alcohol trying out
6) Collection of previous drug and alcohol take a look at results
7) Implementation of random screenings
8) Supervisor Training
nine) Post-twist of fate Procedures
Without steering along the manner, it’s without a doubt easy to get 49CFR part forty wrong and get your self into trouble and hazard getting fined. Moreover, if you’re a brand new organisation who’s just registering with the DOT, you may be audited within your first 18 months for a new entrant safety audit.
A important part of that audit is your drug and alcohol checking out program. Violations in this audit can result in an automatic failure of the brand new entrant protection audit. And failing that audit isn’t always something you want to mess around with!
I first need to explain who need to be included by means of your drug trying out program. If you have got ANY DRIVERS who operate cars with the following qualifications, you must have them in a DOT drug testing program.
Drivers you need to cowl are every person (full time, component time, or transient) who drives a car interstate or for intrastate commerce this is any one of the subsequent:
1) Over 26,000 lbs. In gross weight inclusive of a towed unit with a gross vehicle weight score of extra than 10,000 lbs.
2) A gross automobile score of 26,000 lbs or more.
Three) If the vehicle is designed to move 16 or more people together with the motive force.
4) If you’re transporting risky substances that require the vehicle to be placarded.
Please also observe which you SHOULD NOT go away it up to a staffing agency to get those drivers drug and alcohol tested or to ensure that they’re FMCSA compliant.